Monday, September 24, 2007

WA1 second draft

Last weekend I went to a Virginia state park campground with my Girl Scout troop. Yes, I am still Girl Scout. Be prepared—that’s our motto. I joined in 3rd grade after all my friends were already members.

As our lives getlllll busier and our once…. Friend ships are somewhat lllll but the cliques and lllll of high school life, the desire to take time on a Saturday to complete a badge or volunteer at the local soup kitchen wearing our sashes and pins wanes. I have found, though, that with maturity comes the confidence to do what you are compassionate about. In reality, the be yourself motto of girl scouts becomes what any girl wants. When I think of the people I care about, respect and are awed by—they are all individuals who know what they want and aren’t afraid to be themselves. Popular no longer seems to be the goal in the social scene—but meeting new people and building lasting friendships is.

This past weekend, my troop led by three parents of the girls I feel like I have known forever, went to the games river state park for one night it was a great experience on many level. Girls, with whom I normally go not get along with incredibly well, seamed more accepting with me and I with them.

We planned on going tubing down the James River, a journey that would take about 3 hours to complete. We all got our yellow tubes and got into the water. We were all slathered in sunscreen—just to be safe. We drifted down the river very, very slowly. Sometimes one of us would have to get out and push. One girl, every sleepy from long night of band marching band and sports slept almost the entire time we were on the river. One of us notices she was stuck in the reeds ahead so I got out and pushed her ahead. Only for her do get caught up again. We decided to tie her to our clump of tubes and she dragged along behind us for about an hour oblivious to the laughter and splashing water, which carries on the river so well.
Eventually we hooked our tubes together used our tennis shoes and life jackets. We made a ring and floated down, talking about various things. It occurred to me as we were drifting down the river how much these people meant to me. The “girl scout law” says to be a sister to every Girl Scout. I used to think that was cheesy. I guess it sort of is. But the people in that group sort of are my sisters. I am an only child so don’t know what its like to have a blood-related sibling. I am a pretty sentimental person and tend to get teary-eyed over things. I realized how hard it will be in three years to say goodbye to my sisters in the troop.

1 comment:

Ms. Wiesner said...

I won't make fun of you for being a girl scout. I tried it out when I was younger, but I was no good at it.

Are the 1111's words you didn't feel were appropriate?

compassionate should be passionate

I like how you delve into your feelings for girl scouts in this piece. It goes beyond surface level.