Sunday, September 16, 2007
WA1 first draft
Last weekend I went to a Virginia state park with my Girl Scout troop. Yes, I am still in a Girl Scout troop. I joined in 3rd grade after all my friends had already joined. We planned on going tubing down the James River, a journey that would take about 3 hours to complete. We all got our yellow tubes and got into the water. We were all slathered in sunscreen—just to be safe. We drifted down the river very, very slowly. Sometimes one of us would have to get out and push. Eventually we hooked our tubes together used our tennis shoes and life jackets. We made a ring and floated down, talking about various things. It occurred to me as we were drifting down the river how much these people meant to me. The “girl scout law” says to be a sister to every Girl Scout. I used to think that was cheesy. I guess it sort of is. But the people in that group sort of are my sisters. I am an only child so don’t know what its like to have a blood-related sibling. I am a pretty sentimental person and tend to get teary-eyed over things. I realized how hard it will be in three years to say goodbye to my sisters in the troop.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hayden,
tubing was fun, even if i did fall asleep lol,
but just so you know...
we will never leave you, we've been together pretty much all my life and it's not just going to all of the sudden end because that would be dumb and really deppressing.
oh...
and the writing was good
i would probably elaborate a little bit, give it some more power.
otherwise, nice.
I like the part about feeling a sisterhood with other people. the tubing part is well-done, but a little more description (scenery, people,elc.) would enhance the reader's image of the trip.
Wow, that is cheesy. I was an only child too, I have a sister now, but the age difference is so big that we can't really connect, so I know how you feel. Good piece. You could benefit from more elaboration.
Sorry I took so long to post.
Post a Comment